Friday, September 1, 2017

Death toll in Mumbai building collapse rises to 33

a desperate search for survivors
Rescuers in India's financial capital have been sifting through rubble in a desperate search for survivors of the collapse of a 117-year-old condemned building, as the toll from the disaster rose to 33.

There was no reliable estimate of those still missing in the second such collapse in a little over a month, which came as Mumbai recovered from two days of floods brought by heavy monsoon rains.

A total of 46 people have been pulled from the rubble since the collapse early yesterday morning, 33 of whom have been declared dead, the chief fire official said.

"Rescue operations are continuing," the official said, adding that 14 fire and rescue officials had been injured in the effort. "Fire engines, rescue vans and ambulances are still at the site."

Police have yet to determine what caused the crumbling of the building in a densely-populated area of the city, many of whose residents had stayed on even after authorities declared it unsafe in 2011.

People had been reluctant to leave because they had not received details of alternative housing, some residents of the area said.
 [ rte.ie]
1/9/17

No comments :

Post a Comment

Only News

Calculadora para la Cola de Vacunación en México

Featured Post

“The U.S. must stop supporting terrorists who are destroying Syria and her people" : US Congresswoman, Tulsi Gabbard

US Congresswoman, Tulsi Gabbard, recently visited Syria, and even met with President Bashar Al-Assad. She also visited the recently libe...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin