Παρασκευή, 21 Απριλίου 2017

France steps up election security after Paris shooting attack kills 1

The French prime minister on Friday announced that security measures would be stepped up ahead of the first round of the presidential elections after a shooting attack in the heart of the capital left a police officer dead.

Speaking after a Defense Council presided by the French head of state, Bernard Cazeneuve said special intervention units would be in place in order to guarantee a total response.

France had earlier issued a search and capture warrant against a suspect who may have been involved in Thursday evening's attack, according to interior ministry spokesperson Pierre Henry Brandet.

He said France had received information from Belgian intelligence on an individual who was being sought.

The ministry later said the man handed himself over at a police station in Antwerp, northern Belgium.

Speaking in a radio interview with "Europe 1," Brandet said it was "too early" to say whether the man was involved or not in the shooting attack on the Champs-Élysées that left a policeman dead and two other officers injured.

Belgium's interior minister Jan Jambon said the attacker, whose identity has not yet been revealed by investigators, did not have Belgian nationality, but French.
 [EFE/EPA]
21/4/17
-
Related:

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια :

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

Only News

Featured Post

“The U.S. must stop supporting terrorists who are destroying Syria and her people" : US Congresswoman, Tulsi Gabbard

US Congresswoman, Tulsi Gabbard, recently visited Syria, and even met with President Bashar Al-Assad. She also visited the recently libe...

/"); f.startScript(); Blog Widget by LinkWithin